Holiday shopping season is upon us, and if you are anything like me, you’re probably already drowning in toys and groaning at the thought of bringing more into your home. So here are some options for the kids that already have everything.
Use these ideas to make a wish list to pass along to grandparents and other family members asking for gift suggestions. Most of these can even be bought from the comfort of your couch, avoiding the lines and the crowds! Not only can they help you avoid more “stuff” in your house, but these gifts are an awesome way to create wonderful family memories that will be cherished far longer than the life of a toy.
Local Memberships: Most offer more than just unlimited admission, I’ve listed some of the other perks you may not know about!
- Wonderscope: Includes unlimited admission, invitations to special events, guest passes and discounts on birthday parties.
- Union Station: Free admission to Science City & the Planetarium as well a variety of other discounts/benefits. (Bonus: discounts/free admission at other museums, including the Omaha Children’s Museum!)
- Kansas City Zoo: Various membership levels and lots of FOTZ only member events, discounts, and coupons. (Bonus: 50% discount on admission at zoos participating in the reciprocity program, as well as half price admission at Sea Life Aquarium at Crown Center).
- Sea Life Aquarium: Includes priority entry, discount in their gift shop, and exclusive preview events and special offers.
- Legoland Discovery Center: Includes priority entry, discount in their gift shop and cafe, and exclusive preview events and special offers. (Note there is also a combo Sea Life/Legoland membership option).
- Paradise Park: Two family adventure pass options are available. One for the CEDC (Children’s Edutainment Center) and the other is a combo pass for the CEDC and their many other attractions.
- Museum at Prairiefire: Includes admission to the great hall, American Museum of Natural History exhibits, discovery room children’s area, as well as discounts in their store, cafe, and educational programs.
- Deanna Rose Farmstead: Includes free admission 7 days a week, 2 goat bottles, pony rides and fishing rentals, and discounts at Pumpkin Hollow and Night of the Living Farm.
- Overland Park Arboretum: Includes free admission 7 days a week, 10% discount at their plant sale, exclusive FOTA events and reciprocity with participating botanical gardens and arboretums.
- Powell Gardens: Depending on which level of membership you have you can get free admission, trolley service and admission to their many festivals.
- World of Fun/Oceans of Fun: The silver season pass will grant you access to both WOF and OOF, gold and platinum level passes offer other perks such as free parking, early entry and lots of discounts inside the park. Note: there is no group/family pass, only individual passes. Kids 2 and under get in free.
- Schlitterbahn Water Park: Includes unlimited admission, half price coupons for friends, discounts inside the park, and exclusive early ride access. Kids 2 and under get in free.
- Coco Key Indoor Water Park: Includes unlimited admission and discounts on food.
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm Historic Site: Includes daily admission as well as admission to special events and discounts in their gift shop.
Summer Pool Memberships: These often aren’t available for sale until the spring, check your local parks and recreation website for details and pricing.
- YMCA/Community Centers: Tons of amenities included in these memberships such as fitness classes, access to gym equipment, pools, and many memberships even include childcare. There are 14 YMCA locations in the greater Kansas City area and many cities also have their own community centers.
If a membershp isn’t in the budget, a handmade certificate for a day out with mom/dad/grandparents at one of these places would be a fantastic gift!
These local businesses don’t offer annual memberships but do offer gift cards, monthly passes, or punch cards:
- Urban Air
- Cool Crest
- Sky Zone (locations in KCK, Lees Summit, and soon in the Northland)
- Pump It Up
- Little Monkey Bizness
- Kansas City Royals (a Sluggerrr’s Blue Crew membership would be a fun gift if you plan to go to several Sunday games)
- T Bones Baseball
- Sporting KC Soccer
- Theater productions at The Coterie, CYT, Starlight Theatre, Paul Mesner Puppets
- Gymboree Play and Music (locations in Leawood and at Zona Rosa) Classes include gymnastics, music, art, sports, as well as open gym.
- My Gym in Overland Park: Classes for kids age 7 months – 10 years include tumbling, ballet, martial arts, art, hip hop, ballet and more.
- Kindermusik: Offered at several churches and music studios around the metro. Some offer monthly enrollment or a full 13 week class.
- Pintervention: Toddler time classes are on Tuesdays, Fridays and one Saturday a month. They include story time, a craft, and a cooking activity.
- Cooking classes: The Culinary Center of Kansas City, The Nibble Nook or Young Chefs Academy.
- Art classes: KC Art Institute, Orange Easel School of Art, Silver Tree Visual Arts, Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Nerman Museum at JCCC, Got Art Gallery on Third.
- Fitness classes (sports, gymnastics, dance, swim, martial arts, etc.)
- Paint your own pottery class at Ceramic Cafe, Paint Glaze & Fire or Potter’s Haven Art Studio.
- Magazine subscriptions (many of these have versions for kids from preschool through teen years):
Highlights, National Geographic Kids, Cricket, Disney, Zoobooks, American Girl, Ranger Rick, Sports Illustrated Kids.
- Apps: ABC Mouse, Starfall, Epic.
- Books: Usborne books make great gifts, also check out a book of the month club like Laughing Giraffe Books or Little Fun Club.
- Subscription boxes that encourage creativity: Kiwi Crate, KidStir, Little Passports, Green Kid Crafts
Whew! Did I forget anything? Any suggestions you’d like to add? Hit the comments section and let us know!