When it comes to having a Mom’s Night Out (MNO), my motto is: if you plan it, they will come! Don’t sit around waiting for friends to plan something, they’re probably waiting around themselves. Reach out to one friend or 10 and get something scheduled! You can make it elaborate and expensive, or simple and thrifty (check Groupon for discounts!) The most important thing is that you have fun (and try to avoid talking only about the kids if you can!)
Here is a host of fun ideas in no particular order:
- Winery/Wine tasting: There are quite a few in our area to choose from and they offer different things. Some have live music, lawn games, wine slushies, food, or just a good old fashioned wine tasting. A few of the local wineries: Stone Pillar, Stonehaus Farms, Belvoir Winery, Somerset Ridge, and Coopers Hawk on the Plaza.
- Top Golf: Kansas City Moms Blog recently got a tour of Top Golf in Overland Park, and I was able to tag along. I’ve never golfed in my life (other than mini-golf) but I found it surprisingly easy and fun! The price to rent out a bay varies depending on day/time, so check their website for all the info. A server will bring food and drinks right to you as you play! This is not just a fancy driving range, there are all kinds of games you can play, targets to hit, and each ball has a microchip in it to log your distance and your points!
- Painting & Wine: I was SO nervous to try this for the first time but my friend Liz convinced me to give it a try and it was so much fun! I’ve done it twice now, a Royals-themed painting and another for Valentine’s Day. Each place varies, some have a bar and others are BYOB. The instructors will walk you through every step and I found it really fun and refreshing to try something so outside my comfort zone. Lots of local places to choose from including: Thirsty Palette, Grapes and Paints, Pinot’s Palette (locations in Leawood, Briarcliff, and Prairie Village), Art Experience at the MOD Gallery, and Wine & Design.
- Pinstripes, Overland Park: Bowling, bocce, drinks, and all kinds of food! The Sunday morning brunch is especially fun for a mom’s morning out. You can bowl while enjoying the enormous brunch buffet (and bloody mary bar!) Perhaps my favorite thing about Pinstripes is you can call and reserve your bowling or bocce lane in advance (there are only a few lanes so you’re likely to have a wait if you just walk in and ask for one). Make sure to get on their email list as they frequently send out coupons and specials!
- Ladies Night at The Melting Pot: Monday is ladies night at The Melting Pot on the Plaza! For $17, you get cheese fondue, salad, and chocolate fondue. They also have drink specials! It’s a great way to start the week.
- Craft night out: Want to get crafty but painting isn’t up your alley? Check out the options at Pintervention, The Ceramic Cafe, Paint, Glaze & Fire, The Makery (First Friday Weekends), and Orange Easel.
- Take in a sporting event: Royals, Sporting KC, T-Bones, or the Chiefs. If you have a large group, look into group ticket discounts!
- Take a tour: Boulevard Brewery and The Roasterie both offer free tours with free drinks! Also check out the variety of food tours you can take with Taste of Kansas City Food Tours.
- Watch a show: Starlight Theatre, Theatre in the Park, Kansas City Broadway, Gladstone Theatre in the Park, and the Kauffman Center.
- Trivia Night: The Flying Saucer, Westport Flea Market, Lew’s Grill and Bar, McGuire’s Tavern.
- Karaoke: OffKey, Missie B’s, Westport Flea Market, Hurricane Allie’s.
- Escape room: These places are popping up all over the place. A few of the local options include BREAKOUT KC, Escape Room, Escape KC, Tick Tock Escape Games, Clue Pursuit and The Escape Artist KC.
- Go out for dessert: This is a popular one because you can do it after the kids have been fed and are off to bed. It can be as simple as meeting up for ice cream or going to The Cheesecake Factory for a treat. I’ve had some fun MNOs at Decadent in Prairiefire.