Fall is here which means there’s no better time to dust off your favorite cookbook (or your fall Pinterest board) and plan a seasonal meal or treat for your family. As a mom, it can be a struggle to find a fall meal with flavors all the kids will enjoy – and let’s face it, in this season of life, simple recipes save the day.
Moms, meet Super-Duper Chili.
With a rich, smooth flavor thanks to its “secret ingredient” (can you guess which one?), this unique chili is a fall and winter favorite for our family. Stovetop prep takes an hour or less, or you can combine the prepared ingredients (be sure to pre-cook the meat first) in your slow cooker and forget about it for several hours until you’re ready to eat. So easy!
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 oz.) cans hot chili beans
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the sausage and beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Harvesters, Kansas City’s community food network, is offering their annual Recipes for Hope tribute program as another way to take action in support of those in need of food assistance in our community. Recipes for Hope gives supporters the opportunity to help solve hunger while honoring a family member, friend or co-worker by giving a gift of special greetings featuring a recipe from Kansas City chefs, providing the recipient with a delicious new addition to their table (and their family’s recipe book!).
This year’s recipes include:
- Firecracker Bang Bang Shrimp – BCBS’ Kyle Williams
- Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Cheese – Homesteader
- Fresh Ricotta – Howards
- Panettone Bread Pudding and Amaretto Sauce – Jaspers
- Maple Butternut Puree – Webster House
- Stuffed Squash – Harvesters Nutrition Educators
Supporting Recipes for Hope provides much more than food for the more than 140,000 people served by Harvesters’ community network each month; in their words, “your gift provides HOPE that helps us feed hungry people today and work to end hunger tomorrow!”
The Recipes for Hope order form can be found by clicking here and can be mailed to 3801 Topping Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64129 or emailed to [email protected]. Orders must be received by December 14, 2016.