Pssst — did you know Mother’s Day is quietly approaching? Instead of racing over to Amazon two days before, why not consider shopping locally? Kansas City is FULL of local companies that produce unique and quality products. Here are some ideas to get you thinking. (If you are a mom who’s reading this article, feel free to subtly share it with your male counterparts and offspring.)
Kansas City’s popularity has been on the upswing for the past five or so years. From that craze, dozens of locally focused retail companies have been born. Here are four shops that are chock full of everything KC — from candles made locally, to jewelry, T-shirts, canned goods, home decor and more.
- Midcoast Modern: Unique accessories for home / life.
- Charlie Hustle: A vintage T-shirt company out to preserve the old school.
- Made in KC: Clothing, accessories, books, home items and art – all KC!
- Westside Storey: A premier urban design, gift, and antique store in Kansas City, carrying local brands such as Charlie Hustle, Bellboy, Made KC, Easy Tiger, Sandlot and Stance.
At the very least, moms deserve cards on Mother’s Day. While Hallmark cards are local to KC, these stores focus more on small-batch quality over mass production.
- RSVP in the Village: Custom notepads, stationery and invitations; tabletop and entertaining.
- Hammerpress: Letterpress & Design Studio specializing in letterpress printed cards, art prints and show posters.
You can’t go wrong with chocolate! Kansas City has a number of nationally recognized confectioners, and here are a few of the top artisan picks:
- Christopher Elbow: Artisan chocolates, where modern artistry meets traditional handcraftsmanship, yielding gourmet chocolate works of art, almost too beautiful to eat.
- Annedore’s Fine Chocolates: Known for its decadent European style truffles, chocolate “Plaza Lights” light bulbs, unique chocolate gifts for weddings and special events, and customized corporate gifts.
- André’s Confiserie Suisse: André’s family owned and run Kansas City business that has been making exquisite Swiss chocolates candies and confections since 1955.
Lotion, perfume, exfoliants, oh my!
- Indigo Wild: A range of all-natural aromatherapy products for body and home.
- Perfect Scents: Whether you’re looking for lotion or body oils, Perfect Scents has an array of custom products.
- Wild Wash Soap Co.: Natural vegan palm-free soap handmade in KC, both good for your body and the environment.
Clothing and Intimate Apparel
Purchasing clothing for another person (especially the “delicate” kind) can be tricky. The folks at all of these shops are immensely helpful and take a lot of pride in their products.
- Birdie’s Panties: Intimate apparel apothecary. Ask about the panty of the month club!
- Amelia’s Boutique: A fashion-forward boutique for women of all ages looking for a little retail therapy.
- Design in the City: Your flair for the fabulous.
- MADI (Make A Difference Intimates): The only lingerie brand attempting to make a difference in ALL areas of the underwear industry.
Here are a few other local gems that are definitely worth exploring.
- Mills Record Company: A record store, specializing in new and used vinyl.
- Rainy Day Bookstore: An independent and unique local bookstore.
- Pryde’s Kitchen & Necessities: For the mom that loves cooking and entertaining with a rainbow array of cutting-edge culinary tools and tried-and-true classics.
- Underdog Wine Co.: Family-owned wine company that carries more than 400 specialty wines.