Disclosure: several Kansas City Moms Blog families received family festival packs for this event. All opinions expressed here are those of the contributor who wrote them.
If you’ve lived in Kansas City very long, then you know that the Power & Light District (or P&L) knows how to throw a party. This self-described heartbeat of Kansas City is “where memories are made and experiences are shared” (often over large bar tabs with thousands of fellow sports fans). On the second Saturday of each month (May – October), memories of a different variety can be made with the entire family at Sprint Family Fun Days, a partnership between the Power & Light District, Sprint and Children’s Mercy Hospital. Each event includes live music and entertainment, arts and crafts, games, and much more; a portion of proceeds from each event benefit Children’s Mercy Hospital.
Our family attended our first Sprint Family Fun Day earlier this month and had a great time. With four kids ages 7 and under, a trip downtown could have gone south in a hurry (can I get an “amen”?). That said, here are three highlights from our visit to P&L:
- The location. Conveniently located in a two-block area downtown, the size of each Sprint Family Fun Day is perfect for families with strollers, wagons, or little toddler legs. Automobile traffic is restricted to allow for ample movement throughout the festival area. Restrooms and water were easy to find.
- The deals. While admission to Sprint Family Fun Days is free, there are nominal fees for some premium activities, food, etc. Guests can upgrade their experience by purchasing a family festival pack that includes two all-access wristbands and a food and drink package including four hot dogs, two juice boxes, two waters, two fruit snacks, one bag of chips and one bag of pretzels. Additionally, several local businesses offer food and/or drink specials during the event, including:
- free popcorn (valued at $6.50) with the purchase of a movie ticket at Alamo Drafthouse.
- a free kids meal with an adult entrée purchase at Gordon Biersch.
- one free pint of Miller Lite or Coors Light draft beer with the purchase of a kid’s meal at McFadden’s Sports Saloon.
- a hotdog or hamburger with chips and a drink for $5, popsicles for $1.00 (or two for $1.50) and cookies for $1 at MeMa’s Bakery.
- patio games and prizes, as well as slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza for $1 at Pizza Bar.
- ice cream cones for $.50 at Whopper Bar.
- The streetcar. If you’ve been looking for an excuse to try the new KC Streetcar with your family, then a trip to P&L for Sprint Family Fun Day is the perfect place to start. Whether traveling from the City Market to the north or the Union Station/Crown Center area to the south, hop off the streetcar at the 14th & Main (Power & Light) stop and you’ll be within walking distance of the event. If you’re looking to make a day of it, consider this guide with tips for not-to-be-missed stops along the streetcar route.
The Sprint Family Fun series of events are held every second Saturday of the month, May – October. The event is located on 14th Street between Main and Walnut in the Power & Light District. Admission to the events are free, with nominal fees for some premium activities. The next event will be held on Saturday, September 10 with an “Ultimate Field Day” theme to include sports games, arts and crafts, obstacle courses, and local team mascot appearances (including KC Wolf and Sluggerrr).