First of all, who are these Mompreneurs? We balance the role of being a mother while being an entrepreneur. Therefore, we are mompreneurs.
There is quite a debate over the term Mompreneurs because it can be demeaning. For the sake of my loving message below, I am referring to kick-butt mommies bringing their dreams to life for all the world to see. The businesses we build are creating endless opportunities and providing more teachable moments than the cracker crumbs on our living room floor.
My friend and business mentor, April Beach, is sharing her self-assessment to guide us. Her recommendations are especially helpful because they are personally tailored for you based upon your results. They are realistic ways for you to focus on success and be intentional while creating a business you love. Click here to take the Mompreneur Master Quiz and find out how you rank!
These are the three successful skills April shares:
Organization and Focus
- We aren’t sidetracked by shiny objects and new ideas. I definitely need recommendations here!
- Mompreneurs make lists and follow them. I should own stock in Post-It ®.
- We’re patient and willing to stay on track to see our work pay off. Double Check!
Asking for Help
- We seek coaches and mentors to consult us. Every single day!
- Mompreneurs say “yes” when help is randomly offered. Insert work in progress here.
- We search for answers and don’t quit when we get stuck. WINNING!
Taking Care of Ourselves
- We allow ourselves to dream and imagine our future life vision. Ask me about my future sailboat named “Kristal Blue Persuasion!”
- Our body powers our mind. We set physical goals and work to achieve them because we are our own best competition. I keep my intentions strong and I “just keep swimming” forward inch by inch one day at a time.
- We know our fears and challenge them. I acknowledge their presence to keep me learning and growing yet I never let them hold me powerless.
Some people wait their entire lives for that “lightning” moment when their purpose becomes crystal clear. Our biggest job is to never ignore that moment or push it to the side. This is the Universe sharing something so beautiful meant just for you. My lightning moment occurred late one night or early one morning (whichever way you spin it) in Connor’s nursery. He was just 6 weeks old. Some days I wonder if maybe I was just sleep deprived and probably mildly hallucinating and then I remember how ALIVE I felt just imagining the possibilities. The rest is history.
There was something HUGE missing in our Kansas City community for local moms. We needed an event to help us put our best foot forward in this exciting yet challenging new journey called motherhood. Instead of complaining about it, WE became the solution and created an event to celebrate, pamper and educate Kansas City’s new and expecting families all under one rooftop.
To see our vision in person, please join us for Baby Love, KC’s Only Baby Fair on Sunday, Nov. 13 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Overland Park Convention Center. Kansas City Moms Blog will be there, too! Our guests enjoy:
- Professional baby bump and family pictures
- Baby and toddler gear GIVEAWAYS
- Swag bags for the first 250 expecting moms
- FREE classes including infant CPR, Baby’s Safe House, Carseat Safety and How to Calm a Fussy Newborn
- ETSY Row with handmade items from local Mompreneurs
- And so much more!
Connor and Jordyn are my “why” and my source of inspiration every day. I want them to see and therefore, know what beautiful things can be theirs when they are willing to put in the hard work. Over the past four years, this event looks much different than I originally intended. Baby Love, KC’s Only Baby Fair is so much more beautiful now than I could have ever imagined on my own. Our events welcome between 3,000 and 6,000 guests twice a year and we are so grateful to see Kansas City’s best come together for such an amazing cause. The Universe really does ALWAYS have your back!
As mothers, we have a wealth of skill sets no textbook in the world can teach us. For example, we are really good at multitasking when it makes sense. We are creative and most of all, we are superb problem solvers.
While I certainly don’t have it all figured out just yet, it’s the journey that makes it all worthwhile anyway. This is a safe space where we encourage you to share your special skills, dreams and new products or services too in the comments below. It’s fun to imagine who could be watching and listening!
At the end of the day, we don’t need fancy monikers like “mompreneurs” and slang terms to define us. We’re business women who happen to have children. Let’s go build them a beautiful world to grow up in!