One of the questions I see asked often in the local moms groups I belong to is: “can anyone recommend a music class I can take my little one to?” I tried a couple with my daughter when she was younger (Kindermusik at Resurrection and Music with Mar), but in talking to other local moms I learned that there are many more options for music classes.
For those looking for a class to try out, be aware that many programs offer a free sample class to see if it’s a good fit for your family. Every program and instructor is different, so don’t be afraid to “try before you buy!”
Other things to know about these music programs: most classes meet weekly and expect parent/caregiver participation. Some programs require you register for an entire fall, spring, or summer session (sessions vary anywhere from 8-14 weeks). Other programs are drop-in, and no registration is required. Cost varies based on length of the session, required materials and number of children enrolled. Some classes are geared toward the entire family and offer a discount for siblings (or a flat rate for families). Most of the classes I list below have pricing information on their website or you can contact the instructor for more information.
I know it’s a common complaint from working moms that most children’s classes and activities occur on weekdays and are geared toward stay at home moms, so I was pleasantly surprised to find several evening and weekend options available!
Let us know in the comments below which classes you recommend and why.
Echo Music Studio: Classes for newborns through age 5. Sessions are 10 weeks long. Saturday classes available at the Brookside location.
- Classes in Midtown at Pilgrim Chapel on Thursdays.
- Classes in Brookside at Itsy Bitsy Bums on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Gymboree Play and Music: Classes for ages 6 months – 5 years. Some locations offer family classes for siblings to attend together.
- In Kansas: Leawood location
- In Missouri: Zona Rosa location (currently not seeing music classes offered on their schedule but contact them for more info.)
Kindermusik: Classes for newborns through age 7. Some instructors also offer family classes for siblings to attend together.
- Kansas classes
- Missouri classes
MusikGarden: Classes for newborns through age 5. Evening classes available at Gladstone location.
Music Together: These are mixed age classes where siblings can attend at a discounted rate (birth – kindergarten). Shawnee location offers evening and Saturday classes.
- The Littlest Birds with Kari Alejandre in Shawnee.
- All Together Now with Alma Fusco offered in Mission, Parkville, and North KCMO. Email Alma at [email protected] for more info on pricing and enrollment.
Music with Mar: These classes are unique in that they are all mixed-age classes offered at a flat rate for all your kids to attend together. No enrollment necessary, as they are all drop in classes. Cost is $10 per class per family or you can get a punch card for 5 classes for $40. I LOVE that many of these classes meet at assisted living or nursing homes and the residents are encouraged to attend and participate. So good for the kids and the residents to have that cross-generational experience together!
- Kansas Classes currently offered in Olathe, including a once a month evening class great for working parents.
- Missouri Classes currently offered in Blue Springs, Independence, and Lees Summit
Shining Light Music: Located in Lees Summit, MO. Saturday classes available.
- Twinkle Music Program for kids age 1-6. Classes being offered Monday, Tuesday and Saturday mornings. Sibling discount offered.
The Learning Tree in Prairie Village: This store location offers two different weekly classes, one that requires enrollment, and one that is drop in.
- Music in Me (6 months – 3 years). Classes available for both moms and children and classes for grandparents to attend with their grand kids. The live pianist and original music make this program unique. Sessions are 8 weeks long and are available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Corinth Square location of The Learning Tree. Contact Andie Weisz at [email protected] with questions.
- Music & Movement. These are drop in classes offered on Thursday mornings at the Corinth Square location of The Learning Tree. $5 per child per class. Visit the store’s events calendar for more information.