Comprehensive Healthy Aging. Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement. Infusion IV Therapy?!
When I first heard about New You Health Studio, I was skeptical about the type of alternative medicine services they offered. As a pregnant woman, I was even more hesitant when they invited me into their studio for an evaluation with one of their doctors. I had never even been to a chiropractor before, let alone a full-fledged “health studio” – so I had no idea what to expect.
I had the privilege of meeting with Dr. Brian Lum, DC who immediately put me at ease. Dr. Lum is a licensed and board-certified Doctor of Chiropractic specializing in Functional Medicine: taking the time with each of his patients to fully investigate how or why their specific disease developed in hopes that the condition may be reversed through environmental and lifestyle changes, dietary modification, supplements or medications. Dr. Lum’s passion stems from watching his own mother suffer from a chronic disease. He has dedicated his career to treating such chronic conditions like autoimmune diseases, fibromyalgia, inflammatory disorders, mood and behavior disorders and memory problems. Dr. Lum also focuses on the prevention of heart disease, diabetes and dementia, among other things.
At the start of my visit with Dr. Lum, we went over my basic “complaints.” Normally, I don’t consider myself to have any health issues – but being pregnant, my body is going through changes and this second pregnancy has presented a few challenges, if you will. I relayed to Dr. Lum that I experience extreme leg cramps throughout the night (which I assumed were caused by my raging pregnancy hormones) and I wake up with pain in both of my hips (from sleeping on my sides, when I normally sleep on my stomach or back).
I have a history of allergies, psoriasis (an autoimmune disease) and eczema and my blood work during this pregnancy has come back showing a low white-blood cell count. I’ve been sent to a hematologist and a rheumatologist to try and determine the underlying cause of the abnormal test results and all of my other labs have come back inconclusive. I have not been sick recently and I don’t feel sick – other than the normal pregnancy symptoms, aches and pains, I feel fine! The doctors don’t know why or what is causing my low white blood cell count. It could be pregnancy-related, but it could be something else, too.
If I were a regular patient of Dr. Lum’s, he would develop a comprehensive health plan designed specifically for me. Since we only had one short visit, we discussed a few things that could be done right away to hopefully alleviate some of my discomfort and help my white blood cell count get back to where it should be. We also discussed the types of services and treatments New You Health Studio provided that could help my specific case:
- Massage Therapy. New You Health Studio offers deep tissue (to help with those pesky leg cramps), Swedish, sports massage, lymphatic, prenatal (to help with all of the other pesky aches and pains brought on by baby) and geriatric massage packages at reasonable prices. New You also offers a Scalp/Sinus/TMJ relief massage that I am very interested in during this particular rough allergy season.
- Chiropractic Evaluation/Adjustment. I mentioned earlier that I had never been to a chiropractor before. Dr. Lum did a gentle assessment while I was in his office and I honestly felt some differences; these included simple movements to help enhance function in my ankles and wrists and stretches to help my shoulder muscles relax – tension most likely brought on by carrying my purse, diaper bag and child and anything else I can carry at once when I’m wearing my “mom” hat.
- Nutrition. I don’t have any known food allergies, but Dr. Lum wanted me to pay attention to the foods I ate on a daily basis. He said more often than not, people have a reaction of some sort to their favorite foods (ice cream, anyone?) without realizing it. He also thinks I could benefit from probiotics to keep my GI system in check.
For the non-pregnant folk, or people looking to experience a new way to be healthy, New You Health Studio has some very intriguing treatments available such as:
- Advanced Aesthetics. Facials, botox, microdermabrasion and laser hair reduction.
- Detoxification. Increase oxygenation and decrease inflammation to encourage healing and tissue repair.
- IV Therapy. Anti-aging infusion, nutritional IV infusion, illness prevention and recover, and hangover recovery (really!)
I was a skeptic at first, but have since come to realize the benefits of everything Dr. Lum and New You Health Studio has to offer. If you are looking for alternatives to try in addition to (or in place of) your current healthcare regimen, I encourage you to contact New You Health Studio. They have so many different options and will be able to design a plan that is specifically designed for you and your health care needs.
Note: A KCMB team member received services in exchange for this post; however, all opinions are those of the contributor who wrote them.