We’re nearing the end of this pregnancy, and I’ve been gathering the things I’ll need to pack when it’s go time. I should probably have them already packed and ready to go but I’m a procrastinator so I’m sure I’ll be scrambling for these things when we’re ready to head to the hospital. I’ve got a list going on my phone so that’s a start, right? The nurses literally laughed at my sister when she went in for delivery because she had so many bags, so I try and keep that in mind and pack light.
The items that always make it to the hospital with me are:
- Nursing pillow
- Nursing tank top
- Comfortable shorts or robe for after delivery
- Going home outfit for mom and baby. Again, comfortable. My last baby and this baby are summer babies so I pack a dress for myself and usually just a onesie for baby.
- Jacket because hospitals are cold
- Swaddle blanket for the ride home
- Extra outfit(s) for baby if you don’t want to keep them in hospital gown. I packed a few bows when I had a girl, too.
- The hospital will give you all the things you need for the post-delivery business, but I always pack my shower items, make-up and straightener. As soon as I get the OK, I like to shower and get cleaned up. The hospital will have diapers, soap and everything for baby.
- Car seat
- Nipple cream if you plan to nurse. Your milk supply probably won’t fully come in until your home so I leave the nursing pads at home.
- Clothes for dad. My husband usually goes home to check on the kids, shower and change but that might not be the case for everyone.
- Phone charger
- Laptop if you want Netflix or something other than hospital cable
I also bring a gift for when the older sibling(s) come to visit baby for the first time. We say it’s from the baby, and I think it helps them feel included and not so overwhelmed with being in the hospital. It also keeps them entertained while they visit. Things like coloring books and crayons, a pretend camera, stickers, etc are some ideas.
I went and checked out the OH! Baby Boutique at Olathe Medical Center on the way to my appointment today and now I know that if I forget anything, there’s a good chance they’ll have it in the gift shop. From baby items to big sister/big brother things and just about everything a new mom could need. My daughter is looking forward to bringing me flowers after the baby is born, so I will tell my family they can just swing her by the gift shop on the way to the room.
Now I can really procrastinate on that packing and not stress about it!
To read other posts in this series, click here.
About the author: My name is Sarah and I’ve been a Kansas gal my whole life; born and raised in Manhattan but have been living in KC for 6 years. I have a degree in Family Studies and Human Services and I’m wife to Derek and mom to Collins (4), Brooks (2) and baby 3 who will arrive this Summer. We are big K-State fans and also cheer for our Royals and Chiefs. We are lucky enough to have a lot of family close by so we enjoy spending as much time as we can with them or doing all the fun things KC has to offer.