Another great benefit of being pregnant with No. 2 is that you pretty much have all the STUFF that goes with having a baby already. Early on, I went through our affectionately named “baby #@$* closet” to take inventory, and started throwing some things on an Amazon registry just to keep track.
But I was surprised at how much we DO need. Babies consume and destroy a lot of stuff. Basically, what we need has fallen into one of two categories: things we really need because they were used up/destroyed; and things we need because I hated what we had the first time around.
Things That Were Used or Destroyed
- Changing pad covers. Too many mysterious stains on them. Went in the trash.
- Crib sheets. Again with the stains after two years of being drooled, snotted, and occasionally puked or pooped on.
- Infant medications (check the expiration dates). I’ll be stocking up on infant Tylenol, gas drops, diaper rash cream and Vitamin D drops soon.
- Breastfeeding supplies. Since I’m having a February baby, and our HSA re-sets in January, I’ll be using that to purchase lanolin, spare pump parts, nursing pads and gel soothies.
- Bottle nipples and pacifiers. Because they look sort of funky after two years in a drawer.
Things That We are Upgrading
- Diaper pail. I didn’t love what we had last time and ended up purchasing an Ubbi this time.
- Burp cloths. For about a week or so, my weird nesting urge turned itself toward researching The Best Burp Cloths around because I hated the cheap Gerber pre-fold diapers everyone else swore by last time.
- Double stroller. Eventually. I haven’t decided on what we’ll want or need, or if we even WILL need one because my first kid hates the stroller, so I figure I’ll buy this once he’s here.
- Diaper bag. Kind of falls in both categories, but after a few years of use, my first one is worn out and I want something different.